It may also be used for premedication prior to the administration of injectable or gaseous anaesthetics.
Conveniently, Hipnoton can be administered by either slow intravenous injection or by intramuscular injection.
Sepcifically, Hipnoton can be used in the following cases:
- Medical examinations (such as endoscopy, rectal and reproductive tract examinations, radiography)
- Minor surgical procedures (such as dental or tendinous treatments, excision of skin tumours, treatment of various injuries)
- Before surgery or administration of medication (such as gastric intubation, shoeing)
- For premedication prior to administration of injection or inhalation anaesthetics
- Detomidine is a sedative with analgesic properties (a2 adrenergic agonist)
- The duration and intensity of the effect are dose dependent
- Detomidine can be given by slow IV injection
- Detomidine is rapidly absorbed after intramuscular injection
- Short withdrawal times
- Licensed for horses